Fort Ticonderoga opens for the 2022 season
Posted: 5/25/2022 - 3-Minute Read
Fort Ticonderoga's 2,000 acres of historic adventure are open for the season!
Enjoy bot tours, breathtaking gardens, new exhibits and many new programs. Each year the Fort's entertaining and educational living history program offers a look at a different year in the Fort's history. This year you can follow the story of 1759 from the final heroic defense of French Fort Carillon to the construction of British Fort Ticonderoga.
Read on below for a news release from Fort Ticonderoga!
Ticonderoga, N.Y. — Experience the blend of history and natural beauty like nowhere else when you visit Fort Ticonderoga! Explore 2000-acres of America’s most historic landscape, located on the shores of Lake Champlain, nestled between New York’s Adirondack & Vermont’s Green Mountains. Create lasting memories as you embark on an unforgettable adventure that spans centuries, defined a continent, and helped forge a nation.
Hailed as the premier living history site in North America, Fort Ticonderoga’s staff brings history to life every day! Ticonderoga’s epic history and signature stories are highlighted through innovative story telling on a grand scale, historic trades, daily soldiers’ life programs, thrilling weapons demonstrations, endless outdoor activities, and captivating special events.
This year, Fort Ticonderoga debuts a new chapter in its history. Follow the story of 1759, from the final heroic defense of French Fort Carillon to the construction of British Fort Ticonderoga. Just as in 1759, the historic portrayal reflected in programs and tours will change in July. May 7-July 26, experience this pivotal campaign in the French & Indian War through engaging programs featuring French soldiers and artillerymen. July 27-October 31, meet the New England provincial soldiers serving with the British Army as they guarded Ticonderoga, building a new fort and fleet upon Lake Champlain.
“Fort Ticonderoga is a must-see destination, a center of learning, and an interactive, multi-faceted experience,” said Beth Hill, Fort Ticonderoga president and CEO. “Daily programs bring to life epic chapters of history and signature stories through new interactive programs and world-class museum exhibits, boat tours aboard the Carillon, living history events, special programs, lush gardens, Mount Defiance tours, hands-on family activities, and more!”
2022 Highlights Include:
• This year, Fort Ticonderoga debuts a new chapter in its story. Explore the year 1759. Thrill at the power of artillery and crackle of muskets through daily weapons demonstrations and explore programs, new exhibits, gardens, historic trades, and other family adventures across the scenic historic property.
• Carillon Boat Cruises: Enjoy gorgeous, sweeping vistas of Vermont's Green Mountains and New York's Adirondack Mountains during a 75-minute narrated boat tour on Lake Champlain. Regional beer and wine are available for purchase onboard.
• Featured Exhibit: A Well Regulated Militia: Citizen, Soldier, and State explores the critical institution of the militia in early American history, from colonization through nationhood, providing a unique examination of the system of defense that developed in the United States. The special exhibit includes over 100 artifacts such as rare original militia uniforms, headwear, weaponry, musical instruments, manuscripts, printed books, fine art, and accoutrements, many on display for the first time in decades.
• Lush Historic Gardens and Friendly Animals: Immerse your senses in the colors and scents of a unique American country estate and explore Ticonderoga’s story after the Revolution. Visit the King’s Garden or make memories with your family in a NEW garden designed especially for children. Discover our heritage breed animals including oxen duo, Mick and Mack!
• Breathtaking Views: Visit Mount Defiance to witness a birds-eye view of Fort Ticonderoga’s epic historic landscape. Whether you hike up the mountain in the footsteps of General Burgoyne’s troops or make the easy drive to the top in your car, you’ll savor the spectacular beauty of America’s most historic landscape. Discover how this summit shaped America’s history during the “Mount Defiance: Witness to History” offered Tuesday-Sunday at 4:00 p.m.
• In July and August, participate in active NEW Family Program Adventures and help soldiers with their daily duties. Receive awards for completing the tasks. Take a guided tour designed especially for families.
“As a leader in delivering a premium historic destination experience, we are thrilled to welcome visitors back to Fort Ticonderoga for the daily visitation Campaign Season– building family memories, fostering enjoyment in our site’s beauty, and inspiring visitors to discover the power of the past and its meaning to us today,” said Hill.
Fort Ticonderoga and Mount Defiance will be open for visitation Tuesday-Sunday May 7-October 30, 2022 from 9:30 am until 5:00 pm (last ticket sold at 4:30 pm). Tickets are encouraged to be purchased online in advance by visiting www.fortticonderoga.org or can be purchased the day of at the Admission’s Booth. General admission tickets are valid for two consecutive days!
About Fort Ticonderoga
Welcoming visitors since 1909, Fort Ticonderoga preserves North America’s largest 18th-century artillery collection, 2,000 acres of historic landscape on Lake Champlain, and Carillon Battlefield, and the largest series of untouched Revolutionary War era earthworks surviving in America. As a multi-day destination and the premier place to learn more about our nation’s earliest years and America’s military heritage, Fort Ticonderoga engages more than 75,000 visitors each year with an economic impact of more than $12 million annually and offers programs, historic interpretation, boat cruises, tours, demonstrations, and exhibits throughout the year, and is open for daily visitation May through October. Fort Ticonderoga is supported in part through generous donations and with some general operating support made possible by the New York State Council on the Arts.
Photo: Aerial image photo credit Carl Heilman II, copyright Fort Ticonderoga.
New York-Made 4th of July Treats Available at Adirondacks Welcome Center
Celebrate Independence All Weekend With Fireworks Around the Region
Celebrating Private Charter Business ADK Excursions with a Ribbon Cutting
Sun and Fun at Sagamore Triple Chamber Mixer!
Ways to Support the Family Involved in Tragic Motorcycle Accident
Things To Do
Things to do
Virtual Zoom Backgrounds
Lake George Photos
CVB Sports COVID-19
things to do
Fall Foliage Update
Lake George Stories