Warren County Ice Fishing Challenge
Ice fishing tournaments around the Northeast are being shelved this winter because of the pandemic, but anglers who take to the frozen waters in the Lake George area in February can still take home a prize.
Warren County Tourism Department and Lake George Regional Convention & Visitors Bureau have teamed to create the “Warren County Ice Fishing Challenge” to help fill the void. And you can take home a cool t-shirt just for showing us what you caught.
For the month of February, we invite anglers to share their ice-fishing catch on Instagram. The first 100 anglers to do so will receive a free Ice Fishing Challenge T-shirt.
In addition, The Crossroads store in Chestertown has donated a $50 gift card as a prize that will be awarded at the end of the tournament to one randomly selected entrant.
Those new to ice fishing are encouraged to download the Ice Fishing Chapter of DEC's I FISH NY Beginners' Guide to Freshwater Fishing for information on how to get started. Additional information, including a list of waters where ice fishing is permitted, can found on the DEC ice fishing webpage.
The rules of the challenge are pretty simple:
- Fish must be caught in Warren County
- Fish must be caught between February 1-28, 2021
- Must post picture of angler + catch on Instagram and hashtag #mylgarea and tag @lakegeorgearea
- If you do not have an Instagram account, please send your picture to WarrenCountyIceFishingChallenge@gmail.com
- Instagram profile must be public
- First 100 posts receive a free t-shirt
- Enter as many photos as you’d like, but only one t-shirt will be given per person.
- Shirts are awarded to photographers in the order in which they are received.
So head out to any of our great (and some underrated!) waters like Brant Lake, Schroon Lake, Glen Lake, Garnet Lake and the renowned king of our lakes, Lake George, when ice cover sets in.
For more information, including a neat map of our public lake fishing access spots, visit the Warren County Ice Fishing Challenge website here.
To make sure you are following safety rules while on the ice, check the DEC website here.
Resources for Ice-Fishing Equipment, Licenses and Information: